Just noticed that you added a #def for triple damage

But that has the effect of making the edges of the cone as strong
as the center....

So either the cones are a lot weaker, or significantly stronger,
under your proposed patches.

Also, there is this effect:  objects in the center will get
hit 3 times, causing a peaked statistical distribution of damage,
rather than once, causing a flat distribution of damage.

I agree that using a single object is better:  can you modify
your patch so that it'll do the "cone-is-weaker-at-the-edge" thing?

PeterM