Real Time Crossfire Mailing List Archive

Re: CF: Direction, maps and balancing

David Sundqvist on  wrote...
| Currently, the wade-through approach is possible, I think, largely due to
| extreme differences in speed. Lowlevel characters can manage feats that
| would be beyond them, because the monsters wont even get a chance to get
| in a hit before they're killed. Compare, for example, the speed with which
| you can kill zombies as a lowlevel character with casting command
| undead and letting your pet zombies kill other zombies. The rate of hits
| is rather low. This causes the effect where the only serious risk of
| getting hit at all is when you're completely surrounded, and lined-up
| monsters arent even a threat even if they're very dangerous.

In war games their are very big `support' bonuses to armys.
a army which is properly in formation has a must bigger bonus than
a rabble.

Also prehaps monsters need a speperation of move speed to hit speed.
EG: a monster can hit 3 times while only move once in the same time
period.  Note animation speed should be left as it is.

Also I think I remember a `hint' or `cheat' where attacking mice
makes you MOVE faster than just walking through an empty room.
That should be fixed.

Player speed when he has average stats also needs to be looked at.

Prehaps (for a un-encumbered player) while dextery increases, weapon
speed may increase (NOT a great deal, say 3 times movement at dex 20)
but actual player movement speed don't really change (unless draging a
lot of stuff).

In that case speed boots may not increase your hit rate, but may double
the speed you can ran away at -- making hit and run tacktics feasable.
Which a weapon with a speed bonus may increase weapon attack rate
but not movement rate.

It would certainaly make the game more interesting when you can't just
run away from that dragon fire comming your way! In fact that should be
the deciding factor!  Normal (unencumbered) speed = dragon fire speed,
Double speed (speed boots) is faster course

It would certainly stop `wading' effects when you can only attack as
fast as both you can the monsters reach each other.

Mice should of course be slower to move, or you would be able to get
though them. EG: kill/move should still be together but you can't attack
again until your move time is finished (eg the attack speed in that case
is limited to move speed).

| What are peoples opinions? Should we go towards a more slow adventure-like
| rpg with a main purpose of questing, or is the hack'n'slash approach
| wanted?

At the moment it it far too much hack'n'slash.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
        Here dragon, Stupid Dragon, have a cookie...
                                   -- Visitor to Anthony's Castle
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au