Re: CF: Usless Items (was Map integration)

"Mark Wedel" on  wrote...
| > This is even true for a set of maps --- if you kill the great master of
| > something, why should he have a map with him that tells where to use
| > that key he has? He knows it --- and he won't tell you. Maybe he even
| > has his secret treasure chamber way across the world, in some dungeon
| > that might look disconnected at first, because there is no "get the
| > key from the great master of something" sign.
|
|  Certainly true.  One of the things ultima did was having various pieces of
| something that need to be picked up from various places - you need these gems
| or these items to do something.  Doing this in crossfire could be useful in
| that some of the apparantly meaningless dungeons right now could be given some
| deeper meaning (a component of the larger quest)

The main problem is that in things like Ultima their was only one major
quest. In Crossfire you have a huge number of quests.

My main problem is that you find Keys and Locaked Doors All over the
place. But you can't always know what and where a key is, or what for,
so you end up just carrying it.  Then you bump into a dor and you use a
special key without realising you just used one of those keys. (You
fluke it)

For example that special key in the Eastern Gatehouse Entry of Scorn.
What is it for!   Well after cheating and looking in the various maps --
it is not used for anything! It doen't even have a lock code! So why was
it added!!!!  I may just replace it with a more useful `plain key'.

This is the other thing, throught the game are books (Like ``THE Book''
in the southern church) and keys and letters, and notes, all with no
messages or are empty, and useless.

This is a rotten state of affairs.

All notes and letters etc should have either a specific well defined
meaning, OR are obviously ``fluff' to be ignored, sold, alchemised to
gold, etc.

In fact one of the changes in the NEXT scorn update is to actually add
some offical wording (the usally small print of such items) to the gate
and port passes, which can be purchased, or found around scorn. That way
someone who is board can reading the junk, and find out what the pass
intitals them to :-)

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
    What happened, get lost in the directory tree again?
                                 -- Rick Cook, ``The Wizardry Consulted''
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au