Re: CF: stable crossfire ?

James Cameron on  wrote...
| Anthony Thyssen wrote:
| > Only one meta server is required (generally auto set by default).
|
| I disagree.  In the Netrek world we have gone to three metaservers, with
| a single host name.  The clients send a UDP packet to all three, and the
| first to respond gets the contents listed on a server list.  Subsequent
| return responses are merged with the displayed list.
|
| Servers send a UDP packet to all the metaservers that the server
| administrator chooses to talk to.  I'll probably be changing this code
| to simplify the task.
|
| The metaservers have known names outside their netrek.org domain as
| well, in case the domain name server for that domain fails.  Physically
| they are all over the place.  We have two US based metaservers and one
| European.

I don't argue with you that more than one would be good for network
faults and consistancy. The key word however in my statment was
``REQUIRED''.   If you discount network problems that is all that would
be needed to start with.

Later extra metaservers on different domains and contentants would be
desirable, though not strictly nessary.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
               A novice practices until he gets it right.
            An expert practices until he doesn't get it wrong.
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au