Re: CF: Wasted Space & D.Door

On Jan 12,  1:16pm, Anthony Thyssen wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Wasted Space & D.Door
> "Mark Wedel" on  wrote...

> So if you have a line of ``No Spell'' (say under a fence)
> and you try to ddoor over it, to the area beyond which is clear of
> ``no spell'' squares, it definately fails!

 It should.

> EG: can we just use ``No spell'' along fences and walls and be sure
> (other then old server bugs) that ddoor will fail, while the fence/wall
> prevents jumping.

 That should work.  However, that shouldn't be done indescriminately - that
should only be done on walls which you really want the player to find the right
way through (ie, password, key, etc.)  Some objects already have no magic
set by default (grates used to, as did the special doors).

 But the point is you don't want to make it so that dimension door is a useless
spell because every wall/door/whatever has no magic set.

 In fact, some of this could probably be more appropriately done by level.
For example, it doesn't make sense that a low level dungeon has a bunch of
no magic areas to prevent dimension door or other spells (in a gameplay
sense, there must have been some powerful presense to make areas no magic,
and they probably wouldn't bother doing it for a low level area with not
a lot of treasure.)  However, in high level areas, it is probably more
appropriate.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com