Re: CF: Wasted Space & D.Door

On Jan 11,  4:54pm, Anthony Thyssen wrote:

> Quickj question...  Dimension Door seems to create a lot of problems for
> map makers.
>
> I know `jumping' can jump over a single row of movers,
> exits or teleports, but not impassable objects like fences.

 Jumping was one of those more recent additions, which while a nice addition,
certainly creates problems for some maps (ie, you can bypass most of the map by
jumping over a pit or something else.)

 In practice, the maps should probably be altered as needed (add an extra row
of player movers or something which basically means no jump over.)  However,
I'll
have to check the code - at minimum, jumping should be treated as far as flying
for the square you are going over - so if you can fly over it, you can jump
over it.  If flying would have you affected by the space, jumping should also
be affected.

> Dimension door can jump impassable objects...
>   But can they jump over a line of `No Spell' squares?

 No.

> That is they try to D.Door and just suddenly stop next to the impassable
> ``No Spell'' Fence.  Gives the map maker more control, and allows
> players general use of magic.

 Actually, I believe the spell will just fail if you try to ddoor over such
spaces.  However, it tends to be easier/safer to block an entire area with no
magic, as there have been at least a few bugs in the past which had a few
critical spaces missing the no magic so you were able to ddoor into some area.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com