Re: CF: Dup'ing items

On Jan 5,  4:38pm, Anthony Thyssen wrote:

> con: could auto-save on disconnect when in a room that was full of
>      dragons/trolls/beholders/etc. May not be able to connect
>      immeditaely after a disconnect.

 True.  But really, you have 2 hours to try and reconnect.  But there is that
risk.

> |  use last save, only keep items that both the last saved character and
> | character when connection was dropped has.  player saved as it was at last
> | save.  pro: no item dups, anything else?  con: more complex, player not
fully
> | up to date, cheats still possible (saves in treasureroom, pick everything
up,
> | save character, crash, wait for map reset, etc).
> |
> I would disable `user' use of save command in this senario.
> That is, they can NOT specify to save `here'.

 But if periodic save are still done, then I just wait for 10 minutes and I
know that I have been saved in that time.  It makes it a little more difficult,
but not much.

 The way around it then is to do the incremental saves very infrequently.  But
then you run into server stability issues (if we save once an hour, and the
server crashed and you lost half an hour of work, you may not be very happy
about that).

 Or you can do some other save strategy (save when changing maps, but that can
still run into not frequent enough saves.)  Also, that still has the problem in
that some treasure rooms are near the end of the map, so saving in that case
still has a pretty good benefit.

> Periodic saves are also not used, instead `auto-save when in `safe'
> positions would be used instead.

 But as said, you then run the risk of losing a lot of playtime in case of
server crash (or even accidental disconnection.)  I would don't like the idea
of forcing players to wander to the 'safe' map periodically just so they can
make sure a recent save of their character is done.

 Note that I can think of one problem with using older save files with the
minimal item set.

 Suppose the character is saved in the safe area.  He goes and gets some
special key and is disconnected.  Do we save that key with the character (if
so, then this strategy is gets a bit more complicated (we first need to check
to see what items the character no longer has, and then check to see what new
items the character has - why not just save with the current inventory then?)
 Otherwise, if that key is not saved, you now have the problem of a quest
perhaps can not be completed because key items are missing.

> |  Oldcity is vaguely a quest - there is no great reward at the end, but
> |  there are a lot of different questions/stuff to get there.  On the
> |  other hand, it is pretty low level quest for a lot of it, so a great
> |  reward at the end probably would be overkill)
> |
> With the minimal reward for killing those trees and beholders in a
> unrestricted enviroment. You have got to be kidding!

 Trees are easy if you have missile weapons (they are slow enough that you can
pretty much always keep away).  beholders are tougher of course.

> Question:  Who controls the map of santo domino?

 no one really.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com