Re: CF: Crossfire-Client/Server

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Mark Wedel wrote:
> > Ob nit: few weeks ago I added a practically harmless but hostile chicken
> > to Scorn to add some life to the town.  It came, attacked and killed my
> > character before I had finished creating it.  Novel.  Even got knocked
> > off the starting square.
>
>  Probably should make starting characters immune to everything until
> they are done creating the character to prevent this.

Yes.  There are several ways to get killed on the central square, and
we should try to avoid them.  For example, summoned monsters can also
attack characters that are being created.  Not to mention the idiots
who are having fun on public servers by using spells to create some
bullet walls and directors around the central square.

>  On the other hand, I wonder if starting new characters in the middle
> of town is the best place - I could see a little starting house off to
> the side for new characters which perhaps also contains some magic
> mouths to give the character some quick starting information.

Hmmm...  Remember what I wrote a few weeks ago about starting
characters in "limbo"?  One of the goals was to make it easier to
select the race/class (and to know what each one does) and to make
the character creation easier for beginners.  Another goal was to
move the beginner information (such as the magic mouth on the central
square) to a place where it would not get in the way of experienced
players.

-Raphaël