Re: CF: Crossfire-Client/Server

On Feb 11,  3:40pm, James Cameron wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Crossfire-Client/Server
> No need to copy me David, I'm on the list.

> Well, yes, but the code was there, so returning to it is not as trivial
> as reimplementing it.  I agree with Mark Wedel though; the pixmap code
> should work with cfclient (and it does for me), just that it requires

 This should not be as bad with the new client, since it only creates/loads the
images as they are referred to (doesn't free them once created).  So startup
time is not as bad compared to the old bitmap in server code which created all
the images before play - that took a little while on the slower machines.

> I definitely understand the font-mismatch issue ... it looks really
> really strange.

 It actually made it into the FAQ file since I was getting hit with it so often
(server upgrade but font not upgraded, or someone installing the server but
then playing remoted, etc.)

> Ob nit: few weeks ago I added a practically harmless but hostile chicken
> to Scorn to add some life to the town.  It came, attacked and killed my
> character before I had finished creating it.  Novel.  Even got knocked
> off the starting square.

 Probably should make starting characters immune to everything until they are
done creating the character to prevent this.  On the other hand, I wonder if
starting new characters in the middle of town is the best place - I could see a
little starting house off to the side for new characters which perhaps also
contains some magic mouths to give the character some quick starting
information.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com