CF: Power crystals, was Re: Experiments

Must we really modify the way power crystals work?  Many have
argued that mages are weak and inconvenient to play.  Fighters
essentially have "infinite" mana:  they can go smiting things
without limit.  Mages are much less convenient.  At the very least,
they have to charge and tap crystals, quaff potions, and risk
destroying themselves with their own spells....

If we MUST limit crystals in some way, then
I'd prefer the method below:  when a crystal is tapped, it sucks energy
from any crystal nearby, at a rate of something like 10 for 1.
You could still increase your maximum gastank, but it'd take a LOT
more crystals.

My original intention, which I never got around to doing, was to
have crystals have personalities, and use spellpoints all on their
own, according to their personality.
You could have the crystals stealing power from each other
continuously, and wasting part of it with each theft.

>     Alternatively, we could search the player's inventory (and containers)
> every time they apply a crystal, and have the crystals "short-circuit" each
> other if a second crystal is found.  That would make it *almost* impossible
> to use multiple crystals.  You'd have to carry the extras around seperately,
> leave them outside, and only carry one into battle.  Then when that one's
> empty, retreat and hope they're still where you left them so you can switch
> crystals and go on fighting.
>
>     So, rather than enforcing the uniqueness of quest items, we're trying to
> make it pointless to own more than one?  Or two, in the case of rings, I
> guess.  I was definitely going in the wrong direction with making stacks of
> crystals *easier* to use, then.  They'll definitely need a change, but that
> wasn't it.

I don't like unique items.  The first few characters get them all and hoard
them.  Preventing/fixing this would require lots of bizarre coding....

PeterM