Re: CF: Illusions (plus some more ideas...)

On Wed, 18 Aug 1999, David Andrew Michael Noelle wrote:

>     This could probably be done by adding an "Illusion" monster type and
> checking for that type when assigning damage.  Or it could be done by adding
> an "Illusion" flag to objects.  Is there any need for illusions other than
> monsters?  Creating illusionary chests or pits or walls, for example.  Can
> anyone think of a use for such things?  Would illusionary objects be worth
> implementing, or should Illusion spells be limited to creating monsters?

What about allowing the spell to create an illusion of the caster, like
the Mirror Image spell from the AD&D?

Being able to create illusions of pits, or traps doesn't seem to slow down
monsters at all, since I have seen spike floor traps, runes of fire
(etc.), gates crushing them in doorways, etc. damage them as they still
came after me. However, against another human player, this would probably
be different.  Being able to create illusions of doors/exits, and create
earth wall, or illusions of a normal wall could make for interesting
player killing, if the server allowed that....

Speaking of new Mage spells, what about Mana Shield?
Like in Diablo (and I am sure many other games out there) where Mana
points are essentially used as Life/Hit points?  It is just an idea, but I
forsee with all the different locations of +magic equipment in the game,
this would cause a huge imbalance.  But from a previous post from Mark
Wedel, I believe he mentioned a rework for game balance, so maybe this
could be considered then. *shrug*  So, maybe something like the Mana
Shield will remain in effect as long as current Mana never drops below a
certain percentage of the total.

Another (Mage) spell idea, something called Life Shield, where the
spellcasters Ac and Armour are improved based on the current percentage of
the spellcaster hit/life points and the duration is affected by
spellcaster level or damage received. It would have the same restriction
as the Armour spell where the current AC/Armour takes the best value from
either the spell or whatever the character is wearing.  The benefit of
this would be the "spell armor" wouldn't affect spellcasting or hinder
spellpoint regeneration.

Just some ideas...

- Rick Tanner
leaf@real-time.com