Re: CF: hello

Mark Wedel (mark@siemens-pyramid.com) wrote:

> experienced players know where to find the passwords, I am not sure how much
> would be added by frequent changing of them (I would think it would become
> tiring that if each time you logged in, you needed to go find the various
> passwords).

Indeed.

>  On the other hand, if passwords are unique for each player, then they at least
> need to visit the spot once to get the password, so they could not really skip
> over the quests.

That's why I was suggesting creating passwords from player names and a
string supplied by the server (and possible the player password, but
I don'T think that'S required).

>  But my point was that just looking at the map probably isn't that bad of a
> cheat.

It's a _bad_ cheat. The best example for this is pupland: the quest
for the cloak of magic resistance _is_ difficult. I'd rate it the most
difficult quest in the game (official map set). However, with crossedit
the quest becomes extremely easy, since you can just skip most of it
and go (more or less) straight to the cloak. This is true for all of
the pupland quests --- they are difficult to solve, and they give you
a good reward for solving it. IMHO players should _not_ have these items
unless they _solved_ the quest.

> > Well, editing the character is quite impossible, unless you are your own
> > server admin :-)
>
>  True.  However, if players somehow have access to the save files, even read
> only, they could look through it (oh - that sword is a +3 sword, so I should
> use it, etc).

Well, get rid of that game admin :-) Oh, I do edit playerfiles,
sometimes. Last time I did it was to remove some overly powerful
polymorphed items. At other times I change item names (Axe of B1FF ---
Conan wanted it to be an Axe of destruction...) or do other fixes.

> However, this is probably only relevant when first starting out,
> as at some point, identifying all the equipment becomes relatively easy/cost
> effective to do.

Indeed. Skills rule. And the rod of knowledge, of course :-)

Christian

--
Christian Stieber        http://www.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/~stieber