Re: CF: hello

> Cool :-) I always found it very funny that you can put on a plate mail
> in no time :-) (Since I'm from the nethack community... where you can
> actually die while putting on your plate mail since it takes soooo long,
> with the only choice being to continue putting on the armor, or aborting
> it).

 Time still needs to be cleaned up a bit.  Individual commands will need to
alter tiem values more (for example, the apply command is used for a huge list
of things, of which even items of a similar type should have differen times
(should take longer to do plater armor than a robe, for example).

> >  I am missing the bug/cheat here.  Certainly the current login scheme
> > is not especially secure, but for someone to find out the password
> > they either need to have access to the character files or be sniffing the
> > net.  Is there really that much of a problem?
>
> No, I was talking about the passwords in the game that give you
> access to maps.

 One of the things to do is somehow make them more dynamic (the password to the
town gate of scorn has been the same for years now.)  On the other hand, since
experienced players know where to find the passwords, I am not sure how much
would be added by frequent changing of them (I would think it would become
tiring that if each time you logged in, you needed to go find the various
passwords).

 On the other hand, if passwords are unique for each player, then they at least
need to visit the spot once to get the password, so they could not really skip
over the quests.

> Well, repeat playing is what I do. There is no way I can prevent it ---
> how am I supposed to forget all my map-knowledge?

 I agree - you can't forget the monster knowledge or spell knowledge either.
 But my point was that just looking at the map probably isn't that bad of a
cheat.

> >  To me, true cheating would be editing the character or using unreported
> > or other unintentional bugs to you advantage.
>
> Well, editing the character is quite impossible, unless you are your own
> server admin :-)

 True.  However, if players somehow have access to the save files, even read
only, they could look through it (oh - that sword is a +3 sword, so I should
use it, etc).  However, this is probably only relevant when first starting out,
as at some point, identifying all the equipment becomes relatively easy/cost
effective to do.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com