Re: Making Classes more distinct (Re: CF: towards 1.0)

> 	1) Make the stat potions rare. Stats place much of the
> 	   distinction on character resources. The problem with this
> 	   is that you lose a stat point w/ each death, so the
> 	   lack of stat potions becomes a problem. My solution is that
> 	   we either remove the death stat loss OR (better) make
> 	   sure that your stats cant decrease below a certain threshold
> 	   (say something like a total of 7 x 13 = 91 pts). Also, make
> 	   stat loss MORE for higher level characters (say have
> 	   character lose 1 stat point per 20 levels of experience
> 	   upon death).

 Losing a stat every so many levels might not be bad - certainly this
might depend on how rare potions become and what ratio that is.  But
not loosing a stat if you are below a certain level could make things
more interesting.  Some characters/players get to a point where they
have been playing a character for a while, and like the character, but
it has died too many times and the stat loss is virtually impossible to
make up.

> 	3) Limit artifact creation (eg. special weapon use). Perhaps
> 	   readjust this to be more strict...say only 1 improvement
> 	   per 10 levels, with a starting base of 3 improvements.

 Is this really a problem?  From what some have been saying, it seems
that some of the standard artifacts you find on maps are the problem,
and not custom items.

> 	4) Fix abusive maps. And Im talking about big abuses like
> 	   getting the meteor swarm and face of death spells, also
> 	   some artifacts like +9 power dragonmail.

 This is sort of a mixed bag.  In some sense, it is nice to associate
some certain items with various quests.  But the downside to this is that
an experience player can pretty much say 'it is time to get the immunity
to fire spell', or the luggage, or whatever else.  And certainly some
of the artifacts are just a lot more powerful.

 Some balance on that would be to balance the items.  Some might just
be way out of whack right now.  But if you look at something like the
bonecrusher - does a lot of damage, but is incredibly slow.  Is it worth
it to use it?  Maybe in some circumstances.  But right now, the problem
is there there is a few artifacts of 'I get these, and those are all
I really ever need.'

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com