Re: CF: Long distance transports

On Jan 16,  6:27am, Brian Thomas wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Long distance transports
>
> > However, I see a slight problem: most ships can accomodate more than
> one player... so maybe a "ship" would be a map, with the player standing
> on some special place being the one in control. Other players would
> have to stand on other places --- maybe their task would be to tell
> the controlling player the required direction, or to put up/take down
> sails (depending on the weather -:)), or to row, or whatever. That
> would be fun --- having a ship simulation inside crossfire -:)
>
> 	Ive wanted to do something like this myself, but there are
> 	a series of implementation problems involved. For example,
> 	many maps would have to be redesigned as much of the water
> 	which exists is currently considered no-move areas.

 What may break some maps but might make things easier to have all water
sailable (and perhaps fly overable), and non passable water has to be specially
set.  However, for this to work, examinatin of all the maps would need to be
done.

> 	This means you will break maps by allowing some water transport
> 	and you will have to place new exits and link many other maps
> 	which arent currently  linked (but which should be) -- consider
> 	that none of the city port maps are linked to any of the oceans
> 	that they lie near. Ocean/world maps will need to be designed
> 	eventually to accomodate this concept.

 This is another thing in which the automatic map tiling would make things
easier - at least for the outdoor maps.

> 	Implementation of water travel should be generalized enough
> 	so that it can be easily extended to Air/land travel as well
> 	(ex. balloons and carts).

 Yes, it should/will be done that way.  Basically, you are moving the other
object, and thus its movement restrictions and bonuses apply.  However, some
things perhaps need to be expanded - certain transportation methods should
not be able to pass over some terrain (a cart in the mountains for example.)
Likewise, maps probably need to be extended to include a flag stating whether
transportation devices are usable on that map (bringing a cart into a shop
probably should not be allowed.)

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com