Re: CF: Java server, HP/UX

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Christian Stieber wrote:

>provided they have sufficient CPU power. crossfire runs fine on our
>HP apollo systems --- but all Java programs I have seen were crawling.
>The idea of having a virtual machine is old (in fact, UCSD-p became
>even somewhat popular), but it has always been slow. Compiling Java
>into real machine code would be a lot better than compiling Java into
>Bytecode and compiling/interpreting this.

Some Java 'machines' do just that.

I'm helping work on a project intended to handle this problem -- not with
Java, but rather using a different idea, essentially a portable binary
designed to be easily compiled to native code rather than easily
interpreted.

Interestingly enough, it was originally designed for a semi-Roguelike.
Limited info is at www.deus.net, but that doesn't discuss the
SmartBinaries.

Crossfire, need I add, has been a great inspiration :).

>Christian

-Billy