Re: CF: call for java enthusiasts: server time!

> Phil writes:
>     >
>     > 3. This could be java's "killer app", which would bring major good things
>     >  both to java, and to crossfire
>
>     	What major good things? As Im sure your aware Phil, this
>     	would be a *major* effort. I'd like to see some solid justification,
>     	ie, like the java server would be faster, handle more players
>     	etc.
>
> Justify, schmustify, I've already got some people volunteered to help.
> More are welcome, though :-)

	Well, I guess Im wondering if you can pack more punch
	resource wise w/ Java (my guess is not, but Im no expert)
	--- (to me) it basically boils down to whether you can get more
	ppl playing (or have more objects actively running) on a server
	with the same machine resources. If Java can do that, Im a
	convert to your cause. But if the Java server is going to run slower
	(and it will for a time, just because of all the bugs and tuning
	youll have to do), I dont see much point. There are plenty of
	people w/ Unix (Linux) out on the internet now. People havent
	compiled the "true" server basically because there wasnt a
	working "true" client. Now that the Java/X11 clients are getting
	in shape, I expect some people will compile the CF server to
	handle it.

						-b.t.