Re: CF: call for java enthusiasts: server time!

On Jan 13, 10:52am, Philip Brown wrote:

> Right.
> On the other hand, if we can say "download this, and click here to play
> locally", and it works on any machine, with no net lag... I think that's
> justification.

 Yeah..  I think the java client will already do good things.  I believe that
once the X11 code is stripped out of the server, it should then compile on any
posix system (including win NT, and I guess win95, but not sure.)  At that
point, someone could also make precompiled binaries for those platforms I
suppose.

>     	Cleaning up the code is worthy goal, but not a high priority
>     	basically for the same, above reasons. Lets get the Server-client
>     	playable first, eh? Id like to see version 1.0 before I die :)
>

> Well, yeah :-)
> But client/server protocol is changing now anyways. Mark's doing good
> things. There's no rush on getting the java client updated at this point,
> until things settle down more.
> (Although you're welcome to go ahead :-)

 I hope to have  a 100% compatible client by the time I make the next release
(by 100% compatible, I mean that all the features currently supported in the
direct X11 server version will be in the client.)

 The only thing I have left to do is animations for the inventory (meaning, I
have added sound support, look at now works, animations/changes in the look
window now happen.  I have also added image caching support, which should make
things more efficient, as the client only needs to download the images once.)

 Then, at some point, I will look at removing the X11 code from the server.

 However, I just realized that last point may not be as easy since there is
some X11 stuff in crosslib the crossedit will still need.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com