Re: CF: Patch: find keys in containers

Tero Haatanen (hat@tel1.tte.vtt.fi) wrote:

> Other change was that containers can also be locked, so automatically
> removing items inside locked containers can lead many problems.

How do you lock a container? When I patched the key searching (long ago...),
we didn't know that you can lock your containers, and I still don't know
how to do it.

> I think that disappearing doors don't work any more,

We love them. They make for good playability.

> >  Now granted, with the special keys, this is a bit less of an issue,
> > as chances are you will want to use the key when you can.
>
> I somewhat disagree here.  Think about a situation where the player gets
> the key that can open one of the three doors.  The implementation of
> many puzzles could work better, if player needs to consider
> which key opens which door.

That's a point. But how do you implement such a scheme in maps? We don't
know any maps that don't work with my keysearch patch, but this only
includes the standard maps (without pupland), Greyshield, Stonveville,
a bug-ridden appartment map (/fb/apartments/), and the parts of pupland
that we have explored.

> >  Note that I don't think it should search through all containers - it should
> > only search the keyring.

That makes sense. I thought about implementing it that way, but it doesn't
change things, and since I don't have much time right now... Of course,
it's quite easy; just check whether the container is a keyring before
searching.

I think the main problem here is that these things should be per-player
configurable, not imposed by the server admin.

Btw, is anyone actually using random encounters? I turned them off
right after trying them the first time they were offered (93.5, I think);
right now some of are playing on an external server with random encounters
turned on, and they are a pain in the ass. In fact, they make the game very
complicated (since, for example, you can get into a random encounter
while playing with Jessy in the 9 hells), and many times you are teleported
far away... Maybe these should be per-player configurable, too.
It very good that RE is turned off by defualt :-)

> I have talked keys all time, but it's nice to remember that not all
> keys look like keys (e.g. magic shovel) and those objects are not
> in a keyring even they can be in ordinary sacks.

Oh, my keyring is full of strange objects (like the magical dusts, golden
bugs etc.). It shows how things are implemented, since only things that are
implemented as "keys" end up in the key ring :-)

Christian

--
Christian (Icho/Gandhi/Ribald @sunbroy53.informatik.tu-muenchen.de, 13326)