Re: CF: Patch: find keys in containers

>  I don't remember who did the original keyring code, but I believe one of
> the ideas was that keys in the ring would NOT be automatically used

I was the person who made the original keyring code, although a keyring
was just one of the items implemented using the "new" container code.
The main idea of the code was that there are special containers that can
hold only specific types of items (keys, money and arrows).

Other change was that containers can also be locked, so automatically
removing items inside locked containers can lead many problems.

The problem with the keyring (and the pouch) was a simple matter that
there were nothing special with these items in the c code and I didn't
want to create any special code either without a good reason.

I think that disappearing doors don't work any more, crossfire is too
complicated to be merely a Gauntlet clone, so there could be the
open/close command, or just the apply command that could be targeted
to objects in front of the player.  This would also allow to implement
automation to the client side, so all restrictions releted to opening/
closing sacks would automatically apply (timing, locked containers, so on).

>  Now granted, with the special keys, this is a bit less of an issue,
> as chances are you will want to use the key when you can.

I somewhat disagree here.  Think about a situation where the player gets
the key that can open one of the three doors.  The implementation of
many puzzles could work better, if player needs to consider
which key opens which door.

>  Note that I don't think it should search through all containers - it should
> only search the keyring.
> Keyrings can make sense to not use as much time, as all contents of that
> 'container' (the keyring) are clearly visible, and thus very easy to search.

That is definitely true, but there isn't any flags in objects that
tells this to the game, so the problem remains.

I have talked keys all time, but it's nice to remember that not all
keys look like keys (e.g. magic shovel) and those objects are not
in a keyring even they can be in ordinary sacks.

   -Tero