Re: CF: Interesting bugs

On Dec 24,  3:32pm, Anthony Thyssen wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Interesting bugs
> James Cameron on  wrote...

> Raffles seems to have a lot of old junk still on the maps.
> For example a lot of the `complexity' at the start of the map
>    * handle to drop boulder (ready)
>    * to initialise the cascade (set)
>    * and one to start the cascade (go)
> Is just NOT needed. The only reason I can think of is that
> there is a second `boulder', for a `second chance' which was
> disabled (no key to get into that room).

 I seem to recall there was such a second chance.  Note that the pupland
maps are still well maintained (ie, the people that created the maps
are still active with crossfire.)

> In fact I can easily (now) rewrite that map so only one handle is needed
> and you have to have the `ticket' to get at the handle (same as for the
> boulder drop).  This would however be a once off cascade.

 This is one of those things that I would sort of put as a 'why bother?'
Sure it could perhaps be simplified, but is there any great gain in
doing so?

 Lots of things in real life are not optimized to be easy - there is certainly
no reason that everything in crossfire has to be set up in the simplest
form possible.

> | If you do have to "display" the boulders, choose a face that makes it
> | look other than a stone-age lottery.  ;-)  Perhaps the same face as the
> | floor it sits on, so that the implementation method (boulders) is
> | hidden.
> |
> In my experiments I have found their is no reason to use a boulder at
> all! In fact my initial cascade was with a `card' (weight 2) (like the
> ticket itself) though in raffles a card would get burnt to a cinder
> quickly by that chaos flooring.

 I personally don't have any problem with the boulders - I personally
think that was sort of the idea - to have it look like a stone age
lottery.  The fact that the workings are displayed (when they could just
as easily be hidden behind some walls off the map) sort of suggest that
the workings of the lottery where meant to be visible.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com