Re: CF: Sex & Crossfire

On Dec 21, 11:38pm, Robert Brockway wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Sex & Crossfire
> On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, Maddog Abel wrote:

> Here is my suggestion of starting races:
>
> Human, Half-Elf, High Elf, Hill Dwarf, Halfling, Gnome, Half Orc.
>
> Sound awfully AD&Dish, well that is because it is :)  We could add
> Mountain Elves, Wood Elves, etc later.

 I see no reason to go into specific elf types or dwarf types, or whatever.

 In AD&D, there is actually no real difference between the elf types other than
background.

 Crossfire already has the problem of many of the races being too similar
(class X is different from class Y as X gets +1 dex, and y gets +1 con or
something).

 Races really need to be pretty different - having 80 choices of races and sub
races and so on would just end up making it even harder to new players.  Having
maybe a dozen or so major races with significant differences between them is
probably the way to go - especially if race and class become two different
things.

 My revised list:
 Human, half orc, dwarf, elf, halfling, fireborn, quetzalcoutl, wraith

 no reason for half elfs - go for either human or elf - even those two will
probably be somewhat similar.  Adding gnomes could be done, but I would need to
see what is actually going to be different about them compared to other races
(right now, actaully height does not matter for anything, where in AD&D, being
short can be useful).  Main things for gnomes in AD&D is illusionists, but no
such class exists in crossfire.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com