CF: CRossedit under Linux

Just tried running crossedit on a linux machine.
It compiled - no errors, but when I tried to execute I got the following
messages:

 Reading bmaps from /usr/games/crossfire/lib/bmaps...done (got
3467/3468/3468)
Reading faces from /usr/games/crossfire/lib/faces...done
Reading animations from /usr/games/crossfire/lib/animations...done. got
(719)
Reading archetypes from /usr/games/crossfire/lib/archetypes...
 arch-pass 1...Switching lex buffers
 Adding friendly object Evil Master, Bonehead.
 done
 Setting up archetable...done
 arch-pass 2...done
done
Matching fonts to (null): 0 ()
Trying to fix fontpath...
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  51 (X_SetFontPath)
  Value in failed request:  0x3c00014
  Serial number of failed request:  82

The editor certainly used to work under v94.3

Thanks,
John Cater