Re: CF: Scorn Improvment Wish List

> "Scott D. Yelich" on  wrote...
> | > Please explain.
> | Well, the game doesn't seem to have any progression.
> At the moment I am using an "alchemy" spell to convert all the non-special
> junk, grave stones, tables, chairs etc etce etc to gold to get as much
> money to get more spells, information (too expensive compared to spells)
> and most importantly  attribute raising potions.

uh.... I have yet to ever do/cast alchemy!  I still consider myself a
beginner after 5 years!

> | So, docks.... you see, I didn't even know you could get out
> | of the starting town for quite some time.  I think I eventually
> | read a spoiler that told me that not only was it possible, but,
> | gee, the password was "sesame" or "zephyr wind" or something.
> | Now I still don't know the password, nor do I even know where
> | I'm supposed to be looking to find it!  I found the way to the
> | gate via the well by the prison -- and now I use this exclusively.
> | Bad thing is, now that the maps reset, I have to keep clearing
> | the way out.
> I know the way. Not an easy route which is why I plan a simular opening
> to the docks from the under city, either via another well, or via the
> pirate caverns.

What I'm saying is:  I can now get out of the town in a matter of
*seconds* and I never knew I had to find the passphrase
[I only learned about that from a spoiler many years ago and I had
yet to learn where it was, I found it easier to find another way out.].

> As for the password to the gate,
> [spoiler warning...]
> The Password is written on the wall in The Tavarn -- which will move
> out of the docks area. It is a bit vague, so I plan to put goths taven
> near the gate to make it more obvious.

Right.  I've never seen this even now.

> | so, docks continued... I don't know if the board is there always
> | or if I took a boat BACK to the main town, but the boat that's
> | black takes me to another town, I just move to the black boat
> | above the one at the arrival town and take that boat.  That
> | takes me to santo dominion (which I remember as the only place
> | I use to play many years ago -- so it reminds me of home :-) ).
> | Well, in santo dominion, I just leave through the right/east gate,
> | then leave again... and now I'm "outside" the main starting town!
> | So, go a little right, go a ways down, and then go left, and now
> | I'm outside the main town.  No quest.  No password.
> |
> santo dominion I rather like. but is is difficult to get to.
> without using the gate!

is it? can't you just go to the port (in scorn?), use the only black
boat, after travelling, go up like 3 spaces and use that boat.
*bingo* you're at santo.  I just tested this to make sure I'm
really being more of an idiot than normal.

My question is:  Since that ship wasn't there before -- and I just
installed the 95.1 ... is that a new change:  *OR* is it there
because I took the alternative route out of scorn (well by prison),
opened the gate out, and took a ship BACK to scorn.

I know it sound silly.. but I'd like to see the ships move...
that is, when the ship between santo and scorn is at santo,
it's *not* at scorn(!!!) until someone takes it.  Temp maps
are used if present (I'm not sure about this [new] resetting,
but it seems to me that with the small # of transports, they
could easily be registered and checked to make sure there was
always a sane state.  Hell, if you really want to impress me,
do it right and make them go between different ports (
and slots? in those ports)...

I guess more dynamic maps would be exciting... but since I don't
have a clue how crossfire has been coded -- I may be asking
for the near impossible.

> | That's why docks are confusing.  Dragon transport hasn't seemed
> | to ever work.  I just use that area to drop crap on the map
> | (but now since the maps seem to get reset rather then to
> | continue to use the /tmp/ files, I lose what I drop.
> Only one area ``pupland' seems to have dragon transport.

I will go try all the dragons now.  I have never ever ever
seen a single dragon work.  I couldn't tell you when the
first one worked and I can't say that I've ever seen one
yet.  (going to start gcf)  Ah! wow.. the one below the sign.
New maps to explore.

> Maybe a ``Guide to Shiping'' is needed, available from some sailor!

>  2/ Maybe the Dragon Transport has had its day and is nolonger
>     ``useful''?  The hangers are empty and only one dragon `works'.
>
>     If so the large area being used for it could be reduced (one dragon
>     and hanger) and more `dock' space created.  If any wants to
>     attach a dragon transport map they can always do so via the
>     pupland dragon transport cross roads, where that first dragon leads!

Personally?  I'd like to see a cage that keeps newbies in so that
they have to complete a "quest" that will give them to level 4-6....
They won't get to scorn until they complete it!  The quest should be
near the same as the newbie house right near the start at scorn --
but should (somehow) allow for multiple use. or, maybe not.... just
a thought. :-)

Or, if the thing I said above about more dynamic maps could be done
with the ships moving between a "course" from one city to another....
then they could even be extended *WITH* a shipping guide.  Say, every
15 minutes a ship will appear that comes santo dominion, you can then
get on board it (it will take you to santo), 15 minutes later,
that ship is in santo... if you are in santo, you can then board it
and it will take you to the next town.  ie: the trave is one way
and the ships move on schedule... and/or, have other ships that
for a cost (compared to distance? danger in travel?) will take
you to another location [that you have been to? that *it* knows
about?] for a price.

The key bindings are neat -- but I'm going to test the limits of
them while trying to program in macros to get between two cities.

Hmmm.  I'm just throwing some things up in the air -- hopefully
I am not duplicating things that have been brought up before.

Scott
ps: any AI-PCs out there?  I was debating writing a small perl script
to try to play crossfire (in all my spare time!).