Re: CF: Re:Banning players

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Mark Wedel wrote:

>  As far as forking and DNS lookups - could be done.  However, you don't want to
> fork all of crossfire - you really want a small program that forks off and
> handles that.  But it also adds a bit of complexity to the program which I am
> not sure is really needed (if someone connects, you need to put them on hold
> while you wait for the name resolution from the fork program, and them come
> back.)  This isn't too bad if you only allow one lookup at a time - however, a
> user could easily deny services to a server (pissed at server admin) but coming
> from a host with broken/slow dns - when the server kicks him off for not
> allowing name resolution, he just retries again.

Why redo what is already around.  Just use tcp wrappers (man tcpd).  Tcp
wrappers is usally fired up via inetd, but I can't see why it couldn't be
run as a standalone server to control access to crossfire.
Cheers,
	-Robert

--Robert Brockway B.Sc.  Email: robert@blake.humbug.org.au
                                robert@humbug.org.au, r.brockway@uq.net.au