Re: CF: Map info and word of recall

Raphaël Quinet wrote:
> I intend to have a sign that could replace the 'mapinfo command and
> include the difficulty level.  I prefer to have a sign instead of
> requiring the player to use an additional command, because you can
> then put these signs where it makes sense.

Since I added mapinfo command, here's a background story behind it.
It was mainly meant to be a standard way to a player to know where
to send comments concerning a specific map (map bugs, succestions etc.)
The map editor added support for it in a same time.  I haven't played
crossfire recently, but I think mapinfo command shows difficulty if
you are DM.  I consider that difficulty is internals of a game,
and players should not been aware of it.

> The map designer would only put the sign near the entrance of a set
> of map and not on the other maps that are part of the dungeon.

I think this doesn't solve anything.  If the map designer inserts
the sign then (s)he can write also a nice text description to whom
the dungeon is meant to.  Like Mark said the difficulty is only
estimation (and it doesn't work well, IMHO).

A better solution would be fix maps so that there aren't any "death traps"
in a newbie areas and players could get info about nearby areas exporing
cities, talking people, ie. playing the game.  I think too many current
problems are there because of many things are tried to solve adding a
new code instead of fixing current maps and archetypes.

> once you pray over one of the special (pre-aligned) altars, then you
> are automatically assigned to this temple for the "word of recall"
> and "respawn after death".

This idea combined to the different starting villages to the different
races would be a good idea.

ObWish: If a new map editor is planned (URL?), a map format should be
changed to support a world map (Ultima) likes maps without problems.
I mean two players can be next to each other in the world map and
still totally different physical maps.  And many cases those invisible
teleports causes problems.

  -Tero