Re: CF: how's "chance of learn skill" calculated

Maciej Kalisiak on  wrote...
| I was wondering: for scrolls which are neither prayers nor spells, but
| from which one learns skills, how is the success rate figured out?
| I'm talking of stuff like "Fletchery", "Shopping", ...

What I am really hating in the number of junk and usless scrolls which
are so expensive (more than some spells) in the magic shops.

{The following is NOT a tip for Begineers guide}

Then the naming of scrolls are so confusing. How is a in-experienced
play to know that a ``scroll of lerdgeman'' (sorry I can't spell ;-)
is needed to gain wizardry.  then one time I read a scroll, didn't see
and effects so I sold it. Only to find out later I suddenly had a
``sense magic'' skill. (Very darn useful skill!!!)

On another matter. What is the goal of the Under city. Using maps I
painstakingly generated years ago I breezed though it, Grabed the crown,
which is not worth very much or seems to be any use, you can't wear it
for example.  Then ran for my life as I accidently let out
a rust monster...

Temple looked good after getting in from the rear but I died thanks
to very very bad armour due to the rust monster.

So here are my questions...

  How do you kill a rust monster? without magic!?
    I can only hit it one time in twenty to thirty hits with a +1 club.
    and do monsters heal -- important newbe knowledge that.

  What is a rust monster doing in a low level (4-5) dungeon?

  Who designed this dungeon? It is one of the best I saw when I played
     years ago. Nicely put together and all on one level. But it is a
     pain to explore and find those special keys (under bouders).
     It is dificult to find some of the interesting places, like under
     the warves, or the (I assume) is the ``firing range''.

  Is there any worth while goal beyond all the waves of temple monsters?
     Other than experience.

  If you only have a spell point max of 2 (I=14) and a talisman, what
     spell can I actually cast to get experience? I have learnt quite
     a few first level spells (all I can find) but can't actually cast
     any of them!

     This is not good. I am above average intelegence, I should have
     at least a good chance of casting one or two basic spells, even
     if uses up all my power.

     Prehaps a minor change in inital spell level should be made.  Or
     prehaps the talisman can provide say 3 more points of spell
     ability!  Such a small increment would provide a big boost to
     begineers who have no natural power. But will be of infintistal
     help to anyone else. Even the begineer after one or two levels of
     experience and especially after wizardary skill is `properly'
     gained.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    http://www.sct.gu.edu.au/~anthony/
   It was a passage made by dwarves,... straight as a ruler, smooth-faced
   and smooth-sided, going with a gentle never-varing slope direct -- to
   some distant end in the blackness below.    -- JRR Tolkein, ``The Hobbit''
     PGP Public Key available -- finger -l anthony@lyrch.cit.gu.edu.au