Re: CF: Multiplying inventory

On Dec 7,  8:50pm, Timo Kokkonen wrote:
> Subject: Re: CF: Multiplying inventory
>
> On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 11:31:26AM +0100, jajcus@merlin.gliwice.ml.org wrote:
> > The problem with closing connection I have solved by fixing socket.c so it
resets map the player was on, whem connection had broken.

> > But I am not sending the patch, because I don't think it is good solution.
>
> I've seen the same problem, and seen this also being exploited in the
> server I keep...so I changed the server to save the character when
> conection is lost (too bad if the player will next time spawn on top
> of a really-big-monster :)
> This also makes another 'trick' useless, which is to issue 'save just before
> doing something dangerous and if your're about to die then just kill the
client
> and log on again and continue from where you last saved...

 But this opens up the other trick - get into a treasure room, loot it, kill
the connection, wait for the map
to reset, loot again, repeat if desired.

 Unfortunately, there is no great solution to dropped connnections.  Save where
you are or save at home - each has pros and cons.  But both are better than
dumping all the equipment on the ground which allows the player to duplicate
their equipment.

> Btw, another trick used to be (still is? with the latest client?) to
> issue 'dropall' command and have nothing locked, which would cause the old
> client to crash when inventory got empty.

 Crashing the client probably isn't really a trick - for that matter, since the
client is distributed in source form, someone could easily put a 'crash'command
into the client which causes it to die.

> I don't have any patch ready, since I haven't had time to check out the
> latest release, but I will make one if someone think it would be useful?
> Another thing that's missing from crossfire server is support for linking
> against libwrap (from tcp wrappers). I have patched the 0.94.3 to support
> libwrap (for better security and control over who can access the server),
> but haven't had time to make a patch against the latest server...

 There is the ban file which should already take care of that (or so I
thought).   I don't know what libwrap does, but anything that does dns lookups
is not something you want in the server (unless you do it in a different thread
or something so it doesn't block.)  Otherwise, if some user comes from some
domain with a very slow dns server, the game would freeze for all players while
it is doing the name lookup.

 This is not normally an issue with the tcp wrapper program, since that is
usually used to launch a new program each time, so if it takes a while, not a
big deal (one user affected.)

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com