No Subject

________=22Re=3A_CF=3A_Re=3A_AC_and_armour=22_=28Dec__3=2C__1=3A57pm=29?=
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rapha=EBl_Quinet_?= Raphael.Quinet@eed.ericsson.se>,
 crossfire@ifi.uio.no
Subject: Re: CF: Re: AC and armour

> So if you have a very good AC but a very low armour, you will be hard
> to hit but once you are hit you will take a lot of damage.  On the
> other hand, if your AC is not so good but you have a lot of armour,
> then you will be hit very often but you will not take much damage from
> these hits.

 I will note that the second case is probably a bit rare - most items that give
lots of armor protection also tend to give ac.

> The same applies to the WC and weapon damage.  To make things even
> more confusing, a low AC or WC is better than a high AC or WC (less
> is better) and a weapon that has "WC +1" is in fact reducing your WC
> by 1.  Sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't be better to choose other
> names for that, change the sign of these things and get away from
> the AD&D tradition...

 It is simple in that anything that is + is good.  so wc+1 is good, even though
you want your weapon class lower.  hunger-1 is bad (- is bad), even though that
should suggest you are less hungry.

 Armor gets more complicated in that there are diminishing returns.  You might
thing that if you have 2 items each giving you armor +40, your total armor
should be 80.  it is in fact (1-(1-.4)(1-.4)) or .64.  In practicality, it is
very hard to get an armor value above 75 or so (you can, but then it becomes
case that there are better items to wear than ones that increase your armor.)

> > Another confusion I have is that of speed and weight.  Even with a ring
> > of speed +2 my speed is terriable!

 The usage of +2 is confusing.  the bonus speed is really tenths of bonus (so
speed +2 in actuality increases your speed by .2).  But this gets confusing in
that armor reduces speed, weight reduces speed, and there is the idea of bonus
speed from magic items and whatnot.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com