Re: CF: Map-editor mockup

> Another idea/wish I had was to allow for 'layer' editing. That way you
> could have a 'sub' layer, with things like texts, invisible buttons, and
> similar things, a 'ground' layer, a 'wall' layer, etc (and they would not
> have to be fixed, you could add layers at will, altho it might be good
> with a nice template). It would be possible to switch on and off the
> visibility of the various layers, and edit them separately, as well as
> have options like allowing multiple objects on top of eachother or not on
> a per layer basis.
>
> However, such a modification would have to add to the map format.

 This could perhaps be handled better in the object structure - add a layer
value to the objects.

 The archetypes could have this set for a default layer that object normally is
(if we assume we start at 1 as below the ground and work up, things like
invisible exits, magic ears, etc be level 1, the ground be level 5, walls level
10, ...)

 So if you are editing the map in non layered mode and add an invisible exit,
it sees it is layer 0 and puts it there.  This could also make it easier to
figure out what goes where (if something is in layer 1, it is the map floor).

 Trying to implement layers in the map structure could be a bit of a pain (you
really do want hte above and below fields to go through the objects on a map
space if you are looking for something).

 However, instead of the current map look elements which contain the faces, it
could make sense to replace those with a few critical pointers (top object,
floor object, bottom object) to make displaying the map easier.

--

-- Mark Wedel
mark@pyramid.com