Re: CF: experience bug in .92.5 (and .4)

> we've uncovered what would appear to be a fairly severe bug in crossfire
> .92.5 running on a linux 1.3.100 system (recent debian distribution).
>
> our charactors appear to no longer collect any experience points for the
> catagories of wizard spells, or prayers.  I can take a guy back and
> demonstrate for the exact same motions that a guy will get significant
> points under .92.2.
>
> I believe that it does not say "you killed chinese dragon with fireball"
> on the screen when we see this bug.  that is probably somehow related.
>
> i believe that we may have gotten a point or two, but if we have, it's
> been so infrequent that we haven't noticed.
>
> we've tested it against everything from orcs to dragons.

I've noticed something very similar myself, and I think the experience bug
Brian Thomas has been chasing for months.

I run a single user 0.92.4 server at home (life behind a corporate firewall,
sigh :).  Usually, shutting down the game and restarting helps.  The clue I get
that no experience is forthcoming is that spell ranges are 1 sqaure beyond the
caster.

OTOH, I've just finished my morning coffee and it hasn't quite made it to the
bloodstream so names and details could be skewed.

John Klar

PS - Re: client/server: In the documents I mailed the list, I missed a few
pieces: TYPE Long has some odd encoding, and I completely left out the Server
to Client "player" command.  I'll revise the affected files REAL SOON NOW :)