Re: improvement scrolls

> From: "Mark Wedel" writes:
>
>  At least one problem is that it seems that fighters almost need to be able to
> do this in order to keep up with spell casters.  At high levels, the mage
> wanders in and casts a dozen icestorms, and can have killed several of the
> large dragons.  A character with a weapon that does damage+80 can at least get
> close to doing something similar - in fact, it seems some monsters are such
> that you almost need to be able to ahve such a weapon.

	Hmm. Then clearly the "fighters" need to make better gains
	in wc, dam for higher levels than they currently do. Then
	mega-weapons are not going to be the critical component to
	player success.

> > 	weapons code to make it more balanced IMHO.
> >

>  Best way to do this might be to limit the number of enchantments that can be
> done on an item - instead of basing it on level, perhaps limit it to 10 or 15 -
> can still get some pretty nice items, but certainly not great items.

	I agree. You should be able to enchant a weapon, but again,
	emphasis should be on player experience level, not what
	kind of mega-weapon they can slap together. Heres a possible
	alternative scenario:

	Under a skills based system you can keep track of how much
	"fighter" experience a player has, and award improvements in
	wc based solely on this experience (this is the current way
	in which the exp/skills system works, btw). Now, just add
	some higher level improvements to fighter advancement, say

	+1 attack for every 10 levels of fighter exp.
	+1 dam for every 5 levels of fighter exp.
	extra -1 wc for every 5 levels of fighter exp.

	then have a limit on the number of improvements a weapon
	can have based on the overall level/5. Thus you get 1
	improvent every 5 levels instead of the current improvement
	every 1 level!!

	Overall, these would be very easy code changes to make.

	I dont think we should limit the mages anymore than currently
	done (esp under a skills/exp system, mages are already weaker!)
	but if you had to descriminate vs. mages, then make the
	allowed number of improvements based on *fighter* exp level
	*alone*. Then you would give all powerfull weapon creation
	over to the best fighters alone. To me this makes playbalance
	sense, but no sense otherwise (which is why I hesitate to
	suggest adoption).

						b.t.