Special Attacks, was Re: improvement scrolls

On Oct 24,  1:13pm, Michael B. Martin wrote:

> BTW, how much damage do special attacks do?  For example, if you have
> an item (such as the Lightning Sticks or JessyHammer) which does
> electrical attacks, how much electrical damage does it do?  Does this
> depend on the damage value of the weapon (i.e. sword with dam+20 and
> electrical attacks does 20 hp physical and 20 hp electrical)?  What
> about "weaponmagic"?  (I am of course ignoring the affects of the
> victim having protection or vulnerability.)
>
> -Michael
>-- End of excerpt from Michael B. Martin

 Special attack types don't really do extra damage in some sense.  What they
can do is bypass the creatures armor or the creature may be vulnerable (taking
a flame tongue to an oriental dragon works better, because it attacks fire, the
the dragon is vulnerable to fire.)

 When using physical attack types, the damage done is reduced by the armor
value that the creature or player has.

 Armor value has no effect against any other attack types - this is one thing
that makes ghosthit so vicious - you will only take 5 points of damage, but you
are taking those 5 points no matter how much armor you have.

 Also, some creatures are immune to certain attacktypes (some are even immune
to physical attack types).  Thus, a weapon that has fire attack may be able to
damage something that a normal weapon could not.

 Some attack types (like confusion, slow, poison, fear, etc) also have other
effects, which are pretty obvious from the names.  These can still damage as
usual, however.  I believe in the demonology quest, there is a trident with the
attacktype confusion - it confuses the creatures, but still does normal damage
- at least this is the way I believe it works - the trident may also have
physical attack type.

 If vulnerable, you take double damage.  If protected, you take half damage.
 If the weapon slays that type of creature, it does triple damage.

 Hopefully that clears things up some.

--
 --Mark