lighting

I have applied Brian Thomas's lighting patch with the all the relevant arch's
and crossfire has compiled fine.  I started up crossedit and made a little test
area (16x16) and set its darkness to 5 (that should be blind).  I then came in
as a player into the map and could still see.  I was expecting to be able to
see nothing.  I looked at the map file and the only thing special about it is
that it has invisible set to 5 (there is no darkness flag).  Can Brian or
someone who has figured out how to use it correctly clue me in on its usage.

Thanks in advance,
Akshay