Re: Weapon Skills (was Re: Skills hack)

In message "Re: Weapon Skills (was Re: Skills hack)",
'peterm@csua.berkeley.edu' writes:

>In message <9503131621.AA07248@pluto>, Ken Woodruff writes:
>>
>>Part of this discussion seems to be a reinvigoration of the Magic-User/Fighter
>>balance problem, the difference this time being how to empower the fighters
>>rather than how to cripple the MUs.  On this subject, and the subject of skill
>
>Bad things about tying a fighters skills to one weapon:

   How about tying it to a class of weapons.  As I remember the (A)D&D rules
there are basically three classes:
1. Slashing
2. Bashing
3. Thrusting
There would be three major classes of weapon skills that ones has to mastered.
A weapon can be associated with any of the classes (ie: sword (1) and (3),
axe (1), dagger (3), hammer (2), etc...)  It's simple and it should give
more realism to the game.
I suggest the following classes be added
4. Throwing
5. Special
Class (4) is obvious.  Class (5) is used for weapon such as
- whip
- net/snare
You can give certain character classes advantage for certain weapon classes.
For example, thieves would excel at (3) and (4), warrior at (1) and (3),
cleric at (2), etc...

>1)  We would need to add a new skill for each weapon and maintain
>    a skill level for each player for each weapon.  complexity++.
>
>2)  It would suck to know one weapon very well and know others only a
>    little.  When you find that Super Artifact and it is an Axe but
>    you know swords, you lose.  This sucks.
>
>3)  You force each player to keep track of his skill levels in all the
>    weapons.  Some players LIKE spending a lot of time looking at
>    their players stats, but *I* like to explore, not bookkeep.  IMHO
>    it makes the game less fun.  complexity++.
>
>>It seems unnatural to me that any character can pick up any sort of weapon
>>and immediately use it to it's full efficiency.  A rapier, for example, requir
>
>Tell me what is natural about playing a Wraith to go beat up on Goblins,
>trolls, and Faerie Dragons.  The game is supposed to be fun, not realistic.
>Let us not lose the playing simplicity by installing a morass of skills
>and bookkeeping.

   Balance is the word.  No one like a pure fantasy world without physical
law to obey by and no one like a pure physical world without fantasy
creature and magic.

>Regards,
>
>PeterM

   Anyone know where I can get the source for 'patch' used in patching
source codes?

Regards,

 __  __/  /   /   __  /    |   /    Tuan T. Doan
    /    /   /   /   /   / |  /     IEC Layer Testing and Advance Technology
   /    /   /   __  /   /  | /      2201 Lakeside Blvd.  P.O. Box 833871
__/  ______/ __/ __/ __/  __/       Richardson, TX 75083-3871
"It's a kind of magic" -Highlander  Phone: 214-684-4575   Fax: 214-684-3716
Internet:  tdoan@bnr.ca             WWW: http://47.53.64.96/tdoan/tdoan.html