re:Starting at levels greater than 1

In message "Starting at levels greater than 1",
'woodruff@cadence.com' writes:

>I've been thinking about some mechanism for allowing players to start at
>a level higher than one since for experienced users the early levels become
>just a mad dash to gain experience as quickly and easily as possible without
>providing much fun.  However, I don't want to let new users wade through the
>low levels with overpowered characters.
>
>I propose that after a character has been rolled that the user should be prompted
>for a desired starting level.  The user would then be asked several questions to
>ensure that they have sufficient knowledge of the game to deserve that starting
>level.  Only if the user successfully passes the quiz will they be allowed to
>start at that level.  The questions would get harder for each level, we could
>top out at around level 10.   The questions could be contained in a file in
>the library directory (say "levelquiz"), so could be site customizable.
>
>Some example questions:
>- What is the password needed to open the gates to Scorn?
>- What is the name of Gork's best friend?
>- What is the name of the spell that Yqreth guards in his tower?
>  etc.
>
>Comments?
>
>--Ken
>
>+------------------------+---------------------------------------------+
>| Ken Woodruff           | Most Latin words in -us have plural in -i,  |
>| woodruff@cadence.com   | but not all, & so zeal not according to     |
>+------------------------+ knowledge issues in such oddities as hiati, |
>| Disclaimer: What tote  | octopi, omnibi, & ignorami; ...             |
>| bag full of $20 bills? |     Fowler, "Modern English Usage"          |
>+------------------------+---------------------------------------------+

  Er, whats preventing people from memorizing the answers from another person?
Beside most of the questions asked will be from quest of some sort and does
not really test the skill of the player (ie: how to kill a dragon, how to
prevent from getting zapped by the reaper, etc...)
  How about a special key gets generated for a particular player (probably
based upon the checksum of the player file) when each level is achieved.  That
way, if the player chooses to play the same character again (s)he can zip to
the appropriate level if (s)he has the correct key.  Giving your friend the
key doesn't work because the key is unique per player's name.

Regards,

 __  __/  /   /   __  /    |   /    Tuan T. Doan
    /    /   /   /   /   / |  /     IEC Layer Testing and Advance Technology
   /    /   /   __  /   /  | /      2201 Lakeside Blvd.  P.O. Box 833871
__/  ______/ __/ __/ __/  __/       Richardson, TX 75083-3871
"It's a kind of magic" -Highlander  Phone: 214-684-4575   Fax: 214-684-3716
Internet:  tdoan@bnr.ca             WWW: http://47.53.64.96/tdoan/tdoan.html