Consensus on race/class separation?

After reading Brian's summary (which was well done, BTW) it would appear that
we can get a consensus opinion on one thing, which is that race should be separate
from class (or "profession").   Anyone object to this?  I'm not trying to read
any implications about experience, skills, or stats into this decision, just that
these features should be separate, i.e. you can be an elf *and* a wizard, not an
elf *or* a wizard.   It may be that we'll decide to link class and race in some way
in the future (say by giving certain races predilections or aversions to particular
classes) but that's not part of the current decision.

That said I would like to push for a consensus opinion on the following: the choice
of race should have an effect on stats, particularly starting bonuses and maximums.
I'm specifically not making any statement about whether class/profession should
or should not also have an effect on stats.

If no one has any objections to these changes I believe we should begin to discuss
how to implement them, specifically whether player objects will reference race
archetypes ("elf", "orc", "human", etc.) or profession archetypes ("fighter",
"mage", "ninja", etc.).

--Ken

| Ken Woodruff           | Most Latin words in -us have plural in -i,  |
| woodruff@cadence.com   | but not all, & so zeal not according to     |
+------------------------+ knowledge issues in such oddities as hiati, |
| Disclaimer: What tote  | octopi, omnibi, & ignorami; ...             |
| bag full of $20 bills? |     Fowler, "Modern English Usage"          |