Re: reading books

> From: Tero Haatanen writes:
>
> > 	-> "Bibles" -- properties/characteristics of a God/religon
>
> I haven't looked a new god code, but maybe there should be temples
> somewhere?

	Yeah. I put a few down on my maps. But temples arent needed
	per se to use the MULTIGOD code. Still, temples may not
	provide information to the players, and more importantly,
	will be map-dependant. That is to say, if a particular
	server maintainer decided to make a new god, there wouldnt
	necessiarily be a temple for them, so how does the player
	learn about the new god then? That is one purpose of the
	books.

> > 	-> Random information drawn from a file in lib/.
>
> If you mean something like nethack rumors, then this might be interesting
> idea.

	Definitely. I plan to provide a starting file with 10-20
	"pieces" of information that can be added to.

> > 	parts of this code between now and christmas. Ideas/comments?
>
> I really don't know how you are going to implement these, but I think
> that it should not require any new code, just making book archetypes
> and fix a treasure file.  This allow all normal object attributes
> used with these book. That random information part probably could
> be read from a separate file, if that seems a best choice.

	Oh, I think you read my mind (mostly). The majority of the
	hack will involve common/treasures.c with the rest involving
	apply.c (unpaid books shouldnt be readable!) and skills.c
	(modification to writing, literacy?).

	No new archetypes (or object TYPE) is actually needed to
	implement the books. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to
	modify maps.c so that empty books on newly loaded maps have a
	chance of being filled with information too?

						b.t.