Re: reading books, another idea I am working on

> From: Matt Cortes writes:
>
> Slightly off topic here, but..
> I'm wondering how hard it would be to say..  choose a religon?  Make
> strict rules for clerics once they choose a god to worship.  The
> advantage is random favors from the god based on how faithful the cleric
> has been.  Do simple things like Elemental gods, Demon gods, etc. Cleric
> studies the arts, practices etc for the god of his choose, as he advances
> he gains the strengths and weakness of such practices.  For example,
> studing under the Fire God increases his ability with fire, but makes him
> weaker toward cold, etc.  Something like this should be done for all
> types of characters by the way..  Make spells more intense, likely to
> succeed, harmful, as the players level raises (reads more books on type
> of spell <G>).

	Hmm. Well, all of this is already possible with the MULTIGOD
	option!

> > 	Susequent Idea -- modification of the writing skill.
>
> What the heck is the writing skill and stylus pen used for now anyway??

	You can use it to "overwrite" magical scrolls with spells
	that you know. In this way, it is easy to keep a few
	"cure confusion" scrolls (or whatever you find useful)
	around.

> > 	I would like to propose that the writing skill be expanded to
> > 	allow players to write messages/keep notes in "books". This
> > 	would be (err, actually, "is") very easy to do.
>
> That would be a great idea.  You should see how much notes I have over
> here on my desk just for crossfire. :>
> Make a buyable item (Diary) to do things like this I guess.

	Yeah. I though that the player aught to be able to write
	in *any* non-magical book, even the ones you find on the
	maps. Anything a player writes would be appended to the
	end of the previous message. Pretty easy to code this.

> Also maybe a "note paper" item for small "Link was here first!!"
> messages, etc. :>

	This brings up a "tangential" idea I had. For those of you
	out there who played "nethack", remember the "magic marker"?

	I thought I might make something like that. It would
	allow the player to inscribe a permanent message on the
	floor/wall/etc. The way to code this would be to create a
	invisible, unique "talk" object where the player was standing.
	In this way, even though the map had been re-loaded, the
	players message would still be there to be read. The only
	problems I see w/ this are the 1) stability of the unique
	objects code and 2) the number of unique messages that might
	build up over time. Will this cause problems?

> > 	Susequent Idea -- modification of the literacy skill.
> >
> > 	I would like to further propose that the literacy skill be modified.
> > 	Why allow players to read books if they arent literate! Ditto
> > 	for spellbooks.
> >
> > 	I would further propose that reading skill be adopted. If a
> > 	player's literacy level is less than the level of the book (I
> > 	wont explain how that's assigned) and/or the level of the
> > 	spell/prayer in the book, then they get the "gibberish" message.
>
> Thats pretty much already doing that if a player buys/gets a spellbook
> thats higher then his level and he tries to read it.

	Right, but that's the point. Replace the old system w/ this
	one.

> > 	Allow a nominal amound of xp to be awarded for translation of
> > 	a book (based on the readers level and the level of the book of
> > 	course).
>
> Or, why not make different xp catagories?  Pysical, Mental, etc.  That
> would open up a whole new world of stuff, then have seperate levels as well.
> In AD&D you can be a fighter/mage/thief, etc.  Maybe we can implement
> something like that and have xp awarded to each catagory depending on
> what acts we do?

	Take a look at the skills system... are you playing 0.92.1?
	Enable the ALLOW_SKILLS code and you will find all of this
	(more or less) already exists. :)

						-b.t.