Re: From c to c++ (fwd)

>   Java isn't public domain, is it?  In order to run Crossfire,
> one would have to license a Java interpreter or whatever, right?
> Are Java interpreters available for all platforms?
>
>   Is Java fast enough to deal with a Crossfire server?
>
>   I'd hate to see Crossfire work done in one company's pet
> language rather than mainstream languages with wide support.
>
> Regards,
>
> PeterM

Java is an interesting concept. Our department has been discussing
purchasing the development system for it. (ie. it is a possibility.)

On the otherhand all the Java interpreters I've seen are so-so at best.
(Of course these were running through netscape, for whatever that's worth.)
But in reality a java app for crossfire would be much better than its
current state as an X-window app. It cannot escape its current clique of
users because it has an enormous difficulty without client-server. Java
would, indeed, take care of this.

Don't shunt Java it is something to look at.

-web