Re: From c to c++ (fwd)

On Dec 6,  7:10pm, W.E.B wrote:
> Subject: Re: From c to c++ (fwd)
> >   Java isn't public domain, is it?  In order to run Crossfire,
> > one would have to license a Java interpreter or whatever, right?
> > Are Java interpreters available for all platforms?
> >
> >   Is Java fast enough to deal with a Crossfire server?
> >
> >   I'd hate to see Crossfire work done in one company's pet
> > language rather than mainstream languages with wide support.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > PeterM
>
> Java is an interesting concept. Our department has been discussing
> purchasing the development system for it. (ie. it is a possibility.)
>
> On the otherhand all the Java interpreters I've seen are so-so at best.
> (Of course these were running through netscape, for whatever that's worth.)
> But in reality a java app for crossfire would be much better than its
> current state as an X-window app. It cannot escape its current clique of
> users because it has an enormous difficulty without client-server. Java
> would, indeed, take care of this.
>
> Don't shunt Java it is something to look at.
>
> -web
>-- End of excerpt from W.E.B

 It would seem to me that you would almost always want the server side code in
C or C++ or something like that - I don't know much about Java, but crossfire
seems to be a bit huge to sit as a java app.

 What would perhaps be more interesting is to make a java client that somehow
interacts with the server.  This opens up crossfire to everyone, removes the
difficulty of having to port clients to every different system type, and does
achive the long sought after client/server aspect.

 However, I have no real idea of how feasible this would be, or efficient also.

--
 --Mark