Enchanted Items

>  * high magic potential (many very enchanted items on player) can
>    results some actions: there could be upkeep from spell points,
>    summoning (high magic interests things from beyond), wonder effects,
>    or players with low wisdom can be confused easily.

In some RPG games (e.g. AD&D) the more magical weapons (swords in
particular) often have a "personality" and thus can be difficult to
wield if they have a "stronger" personality than the character.  I
think this might be a better way to handle more powerful enchanted
weapons instead of "this item is too powerful for you to wield" (I
believe the current cutoff is the player's level +5).  The player
could try to use it, but with possible side effects depending on the
relative levels of the weapon and player.  Side effects could range
from relatively harmless (player momentarily confused, misses more
often, weapon seems unusually heavy, etc.) to relatively nasty (player
hurts self, weapon takes control of player briefly (maybe berserker
madness?), perhaps even damaging (loses some magic) or breaking the
weapon in an extreme case?).  From what I've seen of the code for the
game, this probably wouldn't be very hard to implement.  What do y'all
think?  This could of course be extended to all magical items (with
different side effects in general).  (I'm dying to make a weapon that
will let me do 100+ points of damage, but I just can't get enough
enchantments into it to increase the damage and then lower the weight
and still be able to use it with my 15th level character.  I'd be
willing to risk some "interesting occurrences" to reap the benefits.)

> >  The only problem is that some of the lib/artifacts are better than the
> > special artifacts.  Teh bow of Auriga (sp) is much better than the elven
> > long bow, and also seems easier to find.  That pretty much makes the
> > elven longbow have no use anymore.

Hmm, yes, I have a bow of Auriga, and it is fairly powerful I'd say
(considering how relatively easy they are to come by).  Maybe it
should be made an artifact?  Or perhaps change it and/or the longbow to
keep the longbow more powerful?

Also, I just want to thank Mark, Brian, and all the others who have
put a lot of work into crossfire to make it such a good game, and for
putting up with all my questions!

-Michael