Re: How to cheat in crossfire v 0.91.5

  I believe that there is ALWAYS going to be ways in which the server can
be made to crash by the player.  With every new version having new code and
maps it is just too easy to let a bug slip by.

  It is amazing how players can find ways to crash the server.  They also
don't always tell the maintainer of a server (as an example me) of ways
they can crash crossfire because the current way the game saves things
and restarts it is a tremendous benefit to crash crossfire at the correct
times.

  A good example I have seen is if a player gets killed they can try to crash
crossfire before they get saved and avoid being "killed".  For this particular
example the "fix" is to always save the player after they get killed.

  Other "gains" from crashing the server stem from the fact that all the
maps get "reset" when the game comes back up.  Lets just fix this by
keeping the maps as up to date as the player.  When crossfire reloads
it loads a "current" copy of the player so why not reload a current copy of
the maps.  This would fix the player saving him/her-self in a treasure room
and then crashing the game.  Just save the map a player is on when
the player gets saved.  In the treasure room case the treasure room would get
saved as being "empty".  This would also fix problems with dropping something
on the ground, getting saved, crossfire then crashing before you pick
things back up and losing what was on the ground.  Players would also
not get placed in the middle of monsters they had already killed.  It seems
 to fix just about all the problems that I have seen.  Only other problem
with saves that I still see is the save yourself, hand something to someone
else, they save and crash the server before it saves the first person.
This is a nice way to duplicate equipment.  The only fix I see here is
to save everyone simultaneously.

  Whether saves are controlled by the player does not really matter
because even if they are not there is still the incentive for the
player to crash the game because of shops getting reset, good maps being
reset with the good exp monsters and artifacts etc.

   Jason Iness