Re: Classes, Race, Experience proposal

Mark Wedel <master@rahul.net> recently wrote:

> Yes, ideally there would be several different class implementations, and
>you select the one you want.
>
> However, everything is greatly interrelated.  If you change it so that
>different classes get different ability bonuses for the same ability
>at the same level (ie, a mage with a 20 int gets more spell casting bonuses
>than a fighter with a 20 int), that quickly means re-doing most of the
>common/living.c file.
>
> Changing spell learning or how good a class casts a spell changes areas
>in apply.c and the spells.c file.

This is the problem, and yes, it'd be a big job to fix it. My point is, we
can continue just hacking random crap all over the place, or we can, in
our continuuing development, separate new things, with the ultimate goal of
going back and fixing the old cruft.

I'm hoping we can be forward-thinking in our future coding. Call it the
hopeless optimist in me...

> I don't know if I am willing to put that much work into separating
>everything out.  It would be a pretty substantial project.  In fact, it
>would probably be a major re-write of a lot of the code.

Not that such a thing isn't badly needed, eh?  :-)

 Eric Mehlhaff, mehlhaff@crl.com