Re: Classes

 But my point was, race should determine attribute bonuses or penalties.

 Thus, if some race is very strong, it would make a good fighter.  If another
race is very wise, a good cleric, etc.

 Getting rid of attribute bonuses for classes should only happen if class
and race is separated.  Then, you choose a race that will be good for that
class.

 But once you choose 'human', whether you are a fighter, mage, or cleric,
really should not make any difference on attribute scores or maximums.  The
attribute scores and maximums should be based on race. (Obviously, if
you choose to be a cleric, and have SWAP_STATS enabled, you will likely put
a high stat on wisdom and intelligence.)

 My point is that if this was to happen right now, then what class you choose
would only have relevance to your starting items.  Your attribute maximums
and bonuses would be determined by race.

 Under such a situation, classes then are non important, because classes
have no unique skills or abilities other than starting equipment.

 However, I don't know how good strict class limitations are.  For example,
in AD&D, a straight mage probably won't survive his first battle (lack
of hp, armor, and offensive capability).  It is the party he is with, which
typically contains a good mix, which will let him survive.

 In crossfire, you might not have a party.  So with class restrictions,
that character might never survive.

 Right now, there are some situations, with certain monsters being
immune to magic, and others immune to physical.  If that barbarian comes
up to an immune to physical creature, he better hope he has a wand or
horn that will do something, or he needs to run away.  Likewise, a
spellcaster that runs into somethign immune to physical will have a tough
time.

 If more restrictions were put on (ie, mages can't wear armor, and
barbarians can't use wands/staves/rods), there would be many hopeless
situations.  As such, I'm not sure if real strong restrictions would be
a good idea.  Especially since I think many people play it more as a single
user type game.

 --Mark