Re: TCP vs UDP

> IFF there is a holdup, and a packet gets lost with tcp... the server tcpd
> will retransmit until it gets through. That is stupid, since by the time
> it is retransmitted, you won't WANT the data anyway! It only serves to
> screw up your responsiveness.

So...  It doesn't matter that I just missed the update packet on the last
change on the map.  There was just a new monster that attacks me and I
don't know of it and the exit is no longer directly south as I see it on my
screen.  Of course I still get the 'grimreaper hit you' and I know that
the exit is "sw" and not "s" as I see it.  No problem.  I just want to give
my commands a bit faster.  No matter that the commands that tried to move
my character newer got to the server as that connection too is just UDP
connection.  Anything for the speed.

> This is especially bad if a whole chunk of packets gets lost or delayed
> (as often happens playing xtrek in tcp mode)
> (although i wouldn't dare play xtrek over my 14.4 line. but it was bad
>  enough over ethernet)

In xtrek the updates basically send the nearly same information many times
over as the enemy ships move continuously.  This isn't the case in crossfire
where there is a "grid" where the monsters/players can move.