Re: Shops

>From: Christopher Carpinello <chrisc@cs.odu.edu>
>
>Lars Henrik Olafsen writes:
>>

>> >From: Petri Heinil{ <Petri.Heinila@lut.fi>
>> >
>> >Once again, in shop design, there should be more smaller shops.
>> >The meaning of shop decreases if you find one shop at a time the
>> >item what you are looking for. Shops could be substituted some
>> >kind of item-automata.
>>
>> I detest the idea of an item-automata, BUT:
>
>As do I.
>
>> If there only were small shops around.. wouldn't you just save and restart
>> until you found what you wanted? (A lot of shops are close to
>> save-beds.)
>
>I think people are missing the point here (or I'm looking at it from a
>much larger perspective): once the client/server code becomes stable,
>I can forsee crossfire game servers running for months (thus the
>"solution" of saving your character, restarting crossfire, and
>reentering the game to check out the newly restocked shops will not be
>feasible, unless you are the local DM).
>
>> Big shops are practical....
>
>Yeah, they pratically make "item hunting" no fun.  Maybe that will
>change when Frank filters through all the maps.
>
>> I would rather make good things REALLY expensive.
>
>I would rather make good things REALLY hard to find.

Hmm, some definitions of good things. Ring mail +4 and Excalibur are
good things. But ring mail +4 is usual thing, which can found from
some of shops anyway, if you search long enough. Excalibur is artifact
found belong some arcade, moustly generated from random_artifact-Object.

So there are some kind of disinction of between artifacts and shop-goods.
And I see no sense to make shop-goods very hard to find. They have to be
correct price ( current pricing of CrossFire seems to be quite good ),
so you have to arcade to get money to get item.

//   Petri Heinila   //   email: Petri.Heinila@lut.fi                 //
//                   //   mail:  Ainonkatu 2A                         //
//                   //          53100 Lappeenranta                   //
//                   //          Finland, Europe                      //