Re: crossfire 0.86

I added CC: crossfire to this mail in case any of the questions might
be of interest to others.

rilba@stna7.stna7.stna.dgac.fr wrote:
> * I made some new levels with the editor. It seems taht some times, places
>   that
>   look empty cannot be entered by a player. They are places where something
>   temporarily took place during the edition then was removed for some reason
>   with the right mouse button.

I haven't found where the bug occurs yet (the source to the editor stinks,
can't hear myself think when trying to debug it...), but I've added a check
after maps have been loaded where I try to remove such bugs.

> * Could it be possible that mages, wizards, priests, clerics have a greater
>   range of accessible spells than warriors ? That they gain spells as their
>   level increase ? that their spells become more powerful as they gain level ?
>   That each class of character access to distinctive spells ?

In 0.87 players will need spellbooks to learn spells.  And their chance
of succeeding in learning a spell will depend on wisdom (just had to
use that stat for something).

> * Could it be possible to develop some sort of weapon performance for each
>   class of character : for example, a barbarian is very good in using mace and
>   bow. But he must learn using sword (which is done when he USES the weapon)

Wait until you see the new weaon-speed system in 0.87.  There are lots of
new weapons, and all types has their pros and cons, depending on things
like dexterity, strength, speed, level, weight of weapon, weaponspeed.
Thus we will now see weak mages prefering daggers or quarterstaffs or
light swords (shortswords, etc).

> * Is it possible to edit the archetype file to modify or add sth ?

Indeed!  But currently it has to be done by hand, not easy unless you know
what all variables in it means.

> * What means the Thaco caracteristic ( I don't understand the word ! ) ?

The lower your Thaco, the greater is your chance to hit a monster.

> * How can someone know what a magic item (especially a ring) is ?

I haven't added identify to the game yet, but it will be added sometime
in the future.  Right now everyone can find out what a thing does.
To find out what a ring is, just try to apply it and see what new abilities
you get, or what stats change.
In 0.87 there is a new command: examine.  It's just like apply, except it
uses the 'e' key and the left mouse button.

> * How can someone give ONE food to another player when he has plenty ? (Same
>   thing for scrolls, amulets, coins, ...)

For all combined items type 2d to drop two of that item.  There is a bug
(which has been fixed in 0.87) making this only work for the topmost item.
So scroll the items in question to the top of the inventory with < or >
before typin <x>d to drop x items.

-Frank.