Re: (ASCEND) TNT ISDN woes

>From: Kerrin Pine <kerrinp@chariot.net.au>
>
>We migrated around 60 channels (combination of modem and ISDN) from an old
>old Max 4000 to one of our TNTs.
>
>- - PRIs are ETSI ISDN (Net 5).
>- - The TNT is running 7.0.22
>- - TNT is multishelfed with one other unit, has 20 x 48modem-56k-cards, 1
>4ether2-card, 3 8E1-cards and 1 HDLC-card
>
>I found most ISDN customers could connect but some can not, their CPE varies:
>
>- - Cisco 2503 router
>- - Cisco 5200 access server
>- - some sort of 3com ISDN modem with Windows95
>- - Intel ISDN router
>- - Portmaster 3
>- - Internal NetJet ISDN cards in a Linux server
>
>Doing q931 debugging on the client end shows a normal connection sequence,
>with the network advising a successful connect. The client equipment
>acknowledges the connect, then the network issues a disconnect with the
>code "Normal call clearing".
>
>Now, I THOUGHT this was just code issues - but wait!
>
>* An ISDN customer dialing the new equipment prior to the upgrade now
>cannot connect -- ie. has to have something to do with the equipment

The "upgrade" being the move from the 4000 to the TNT, or did the TNT
change too?

>* Some customers that could connect after the upgrade now can't, and vice
>versa. It seems that the TNT is limiting the number of ISDN connections
>that it can handle simultaneously!! Ie. when some ISDN customers disconnect
>from the TNT, others are able to connect.

Sounds like you're running out of HDLC processors. Use hdlc -a to
check how many are available.

You don't specify which HDLC or modem cards you're using, so I'm
assuming you have an HDLC-1 card and dual-slot modem cards that
contains no HDLC processors. If that's true, you can handle about 128
ISDN channels, unless some HDLC processors are being used by nailed
calls.

>Can someone talk me through debugging the TNT ISDN side? (Beer is available
>;-))

As a fellow Aussie, this was an irresistible offer!
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor@infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/

"Where's my burrito?" -- Homer