Re: (ASCEND) One LAN, two Pipelines

Harro de Jong wrote:
>I've got two (small) companies, say, ABC and DEF. They share a LAN (TCP/IP)
>and a fileserver (Windows NT).
>They both want Internet access, including e-mail using their own domain
>name (ABC.nl and DEF.nl)
>So they both opened an appropriate ISP account (Internet access via a
>Pipeline 50, SMTP e-mail relay, domain name registration).
>ABC was given network addresses in the 212.135.x.y range
>DEF was given network addresses in the 212.163.x.y range.
>Both have a netmask of 255.255.255.240.
>Now I've got the job of getting it all to work.
>Problems:
>1. internal traffic for ABC will cause DEF's Pipeline to start dialing.
>2. DEF can't see the fileserver (which sits in ABC's address range).

Each Pipeline should have two IP addresses on its Ethernet interface, one
in each address range, to prevent the other company's local traffic causing
it to place a call.  (The default gateway specified on each client machine
on the network will determine which Pipeline controls its Internet access,
and thus which company pays the phone bills.)

The fileserver should also have an IP address on each network - as it's
NT you should be able to assign two addresses to its Ethernet card.  If
Internet access is possible from the fileserver, however, one company
will have to pick up the tab (again determined by its default gateway).

Unless there's something I've overlooked, I think this should do the
trick...

Stephen